Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Week 2: The Search for Data

This past week has been a very busy one. Everyone in the office was preparing for the quarterly event that took place on Thursday. While I was invited, I couldn't attend because I had fencing training that evening, but I heard from many of my coworkers that it was a very successful and fun event.

In addition to the craziness surrounding the quarterly, I had to begin my quest to obtain more data for my research. Since the Phoenix branch of Slalom is still relatively small compared to some of the other branches, I had to reach out to some of the larger offices in hopes that they would have the data I needed. On my first attempt, I contacted Lindsay in San Francisco to see if their office had anything they could let me use in my project. Sadly, they were unable to give me the data I needed, and it was explained to me that this is largely due to the fact that Slalom is currently switching over to a completely new sales and marketing system, which will allow for a more efficient way of tracking said sales and marketing data. Thankfully though, Lindsay was able to put me in touch with Ali of the Seattle branch. On my second attempt, I called Ali and asked about data for my project and she said that the Seattle branch was in a similar situation compared to San Francisco. However, she said that she knew someone in the Seattle branch who may have some semblance of the data that I needed in addition to a contact in Chicago who would likely be able to help me out as well. Ali was very helpful and encouraging saying she had a large interest in learning the outcome of my research project. I look forward to hearing from her and hopefully soon I'll have a complete set of data that I can use to analyze for my project.

Now that I have made a break through in my search for data, I have to wait and see how it all pans out.

2 comments:

  1. Your internship sounds really exciting so far. :) What kind of company is Slalom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slalom is a consulting company, which basically means they help other businesses solve problems. Here is a link to their website if you want to learn more: https://www.slalom.com/

      Delete